In a recent post, Carrie asked “if your desire is to do God’s will above your own, how can we know that we are following him and not leaning to our own understanding?”
Can we ever truly trust the decisions we make, or do we just do what we can do and hope for the best?
The first part of the question is the perfect place to start. Having a desire for God’s will above your own comes with a promise of getting the desire of your heart.
The way that I have found that gives me the most peace about decisions is
- Make sure that I maintain a close relationship with Christ
- when close to Him, I can make out His voice more clearly
- Seek out any advise the Bible has on the subject
- often when I am not getting a clear answer from the Lord on something, it is because it is already in His word
- Identify my own desire in the matter
- more often than not, God’s will for my life takes me way out of my comfort zone, so while it is not a perfect indicator, many times what He wants me to do is not something I (my fleshly self) want to do
- Lastly, trust in Him to use every situation for His honor and glory.
The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace